Branches & usability

wvd_vegt

Hi,

To make things easier for non power-users: is it possible to make the branch explorer more interactive (ie allow branches to be dragged and dropped on the main branch in order to merge).

Also in the Visual Studio (using plastic plugin package) there is no clear option to create a branch other that check-in into other branch (where one might think the other branch should already exits).

Currently this is the only place I found to create a branch from within VS2k10.

As for the merging, it took me the following to merge back to the main branch:

I did not find an easy way to merging a branch back to the main branch. (had to use the client for it and i found i it pretty hard and confusing as the obvious command merge from other branch did not result in any merges). I had to switch to the main branch first (loosing my changed files in the ide, which makes me nervous) and then i managed to merge somehow. Arrows where dotted and linked backwards (from right to left) to the main branch.

After the merge, the commit/check-in was hard again as plasticscm's client complained about merge links. I revolved that by checking in the whole project instead of one of it's projects. After this the arrows point forward again (which is re-assuring) to the new changeset on main branch.

A drag and drop operation followed by a question to check things etc in would much simplify life.

Lastly: is there an easy way to switch between the two scm plugins?

wvd_vegt

• 2 weeks later...

Hello wvd_vegt!

we will try to do it this Friday! But meanwhile:

To make things easier for non power-users: is it possible to make the branch explorer more interactive (ie allow branches to be dragged and dropped on the main branch in order to merge).

Cool feature, you can add it in our user voice system: https://plasticscm.uservoice.com/

Also in the Visual Studio (using plastic plugin package) there is no clear option to create a branch other that check-in into other branch (where one might think the other branch should already exits).

Currently this is the only place I found to create a branch from within VS2k10.

Wow!! I think you are missing all the plugins views!!! Check this out: post-112-0-71023600-1334132160_thumb.png

As for the merging, it took me the following to merge back to the main branch:

I did not find an easy way to merging a branch back to the main branch. (had to use the client for it and i found i it pretty hard and confusing as the obvious command merge from other branch did not result in any merges). I had to switch to the main branch first (loosing my changed files in the ide, which makes me nervous) and then i managed to merge somehow. Arrows where dotted and linked backwards (from right to left) to the main branch.

After the merge, the commit/check-in was hard again as plasticscm's client complained about merge links. I revolved that by checking in the whole project instead of one of it's projects. After this the arrows point forward again (which is re-assuring) to the new changeset on main branch.

A drag and drop operation followed by a question to check things etc in would much simplify life.

Again, you can use the Plastic SCM view inside VS :)

Lastly: is there an easy way to switch between the two scm plugins?

Yes, first you have to unbind the solution and projects from the SCC plugin and then bind again the project with the new Plastic SCM package.

Regarding the "merge on drag"... Ok, it has been requested several times, make sure it is in http://plasticscm.uservoice.com, vote it, describe it... and we'll see what we can do.

My concern is that, while cool, I think it will be rather confusing... I mean, when you really have a bunch on branches... wouldn't it be difficult to "drag and drop"?

Do you really think it will be easier than right-clicking on the source branch and selecting "merge from this branch"?

Would it be faster?

I don't think so, but I'm open to implement it if you convince me.

Hi

Faster is also things like typing commands on a commandline which isn't regarded as user friendly but is more powerfull than gui's most of the time. I requested/suggested the feature as a way to ease the learning curve (personally I find merge from this branch confusing as i do not see where it will be merged into). A menuitem 'merge into main branch' would perhaps better describe it.

I find merge from this branch confusing as i do not see where it will be merged into).

But, if you are switching to the merge destination branch IMHO I think it's easy to view that the merges are going to be stored in the branch I'm working on...

Maybe I'm contaminated and it's hard to me to understand your point of view.

Hi,

Yeah, i think i will get used to it once i use branching a bit more.

It's just that i get nervous if a VCS starts removing my work during a branch switch (and I have to hope the database still contains my hours of work). Just use it and don't worry to much is probably the way to go ;-)

Hi

I try not to worry but I carry 10+ years of sources with me (in SourceSafe) and would hate to loose any of that (I need it from time to time as the userbase is very diverse on application versioning). But I am a single developer so full fledged dvcs is not neccesary for me but things like branching etc sounds interesting and promising as i frequently do add new features.

The selling points for plasticscm for me where the decent database underneath and the modern dotnet base (so no afternoon scripting that turned loose by escaping the lab, i just dislike that no matter how good such code is). I was getting fed up with the 10k+ files of sourcesafe, cvs and svn etc. And it does not condemn vss like working methods (check-ou/check-in).

And lets not forget, active development and excellent support sofar.

Hi

It's one of the reasons I want to look into branching as I have some high priority projects on the way and have some 'normal' softwre research to go on too. In my current project there are some code experiments present that are not available for users, only to me when debugging. There branching might be a much more elegant way.

So even shelving looks interesting (I had some urgent request when i was in the middle of a bigger coding/refactoring operation and there shelving seems the way to go).

But it's the workspace switch and replacing/removal the files I have to get used to. My experiences with branching in cvs and svn with Eclipse where not that successfull (and most of the time seriously screwed up my projects or gave funcky checkin problems).

PlasticScm gives me the growth path without forcing me to discard the single user day-to-day routines I got used to with VSS (like checkin/checkout instead of the lazyer git/mercurial approach of just editing along and then see if it can be merged).

So even shelving looks interesting (I had some urgent request when i was in the middle of a bigger coding/refactoring operation and there shelving seems the way to go).

Yes, this is one of the main topics where the shelve operation is great.

Archived