v4.1 Installation Experience

I just updated my environment here with Plastic 4.1, and I thought I'd share my experience.

All in all it was very easily done, with no real complaints.

I still had a Plastic 3 installed on my machine and it complained about that as it tried to renamed the "plastic" configuration settings directory to "plastic4" (I'm supposing in an attempt to keep my plastic settings from my "previous" version) and it couldn't because the plastic4 directory was already there. Perhaps the installer should look for a v4 version first and keep those settings before assuming it's a v3 to v4 upgrade?

Next came my battle with the extensions. I'm unlucky enough to still be on XP, and supporting applications written on the 1.0 .NET framework. When the installer attempts to register extensions it's attempting to use the 1.0 or 1.1 .NET framework versions, but it requires the 2.0 framework to work. Moving the 1.0 and 1.1 installation directories out was sufficient to get the installer to complete without error. I wasn't able to configure or start the client until I move those directories back and restarted. I'm by no means an expert, but I thought there was a way of specifying which version of the .NET framework it would load, so it wouldn't load 1.0 if it required 2.0 even if 1.0 was there. If that's possible, you might want to look into that.

Besides those, I'm extremely excited about shelving and the new "head" icon in branch explorer the most, but it's an impressive work altogether. Good work!

Hi carpediemevive!

I still had a Plastic 3 installed on my machine and it complained about that as it tried to renamed the "plastic" configuration settings directory to "plastic4"

Do you have an error message of the complain??? It's strange since the installer with an existent 3.0 installation it creates a new plastic4 configuration directory and with a Plastic SCM 4.0 -> 4.1 upgrade it should preserve the plastic and plastic4 directories.

About that...

I've installed plastic 4.1 in 2 machines here without any problems.

When I tried to do the same install process I keep getting an error when the installations needs to close the explorer.exe to install the shell extension.

It shows me an dialog that I never saw before about LockForm-something...

I ended the explorer.exe manually and the installations worked without problems.

Very strange...

Hi cidico,

the Lock-form is useful for killing applications that are using the Plastic SCM dll's. The explorer.exe process for example uses our libraries for the Shell extension.

Sometimes the explorer process is not able to be killed or restarted so this window alarms you that is needed to kill this process.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally re-created this issue today. I attached the error box I got on installation.

Here's what I think are steps to recreate:

Install Plastic 3.0

Verify that the "C:\Documents and Settings\{USER}\Local Settings\Application Data\plastic" (I'm on XP, presumably this happens for other Windows versions, but I'm not certain) directory exists

Uninstall Plastic 3.0

Verify that the "C:\Documents and Settings\{USER}\Local Settings\Application Data\plastic" directory is still there.

Install Plastic 4.1

I didn't select the Server tools and I didn't select the Eclipse plugin, but everything else I selected.

When it was installing the client tools, but before it got to the explorer integration was when I got the error.

Here's the error plain text so you don't have to keep the image around:

Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly

Error renaming C:/Documents and Settings/adh/Local Settings/Application Data/plastic to C:/Documents and Settings/adh/Local Settings/Application Data/plastic4.

Again, it's not really a big deal, but I just wanted to let you know what I was seeing.

post-838-0-98282400-1337184050_thumb.jpg

Archived