Connecting together

wvd_vegt

Hi

I'm investigating a scenario where I will code together with a programmer located in another country. We both have private networks and wish to open them as little as possible (preferably not at all). So besides one of us hosting the main server my question is if there is a third party service we can use to get/punch through the firewalls (so make both an outgoing connection to a 3rd party service). Personally I could live with hosting a 'main' server where we both can replicate our local changes to (so have a local server as well).

Do you know of any (better) solutions for this scenario?

And it's perhaps an idea for PasticSCM to offer such service?

regards

The other idea would be to use something like Bitbucket and a private repository.  You will have to go from plastic -> git -> plastic, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

You are right! You can use the 4.2 Beta! The bidirectional Git sync fits perfect in your scenario!

Another option is a small linux server inside Amazon EC2 as a central point of communication.

Hi,

Hi!

Why don't you just use the incremental fast-export / fast-import files or the replication package file?

By doing so you can just send each other via IM or dropbox.

Regards!

Interesting, I did not know this incremental option. But how does it work, commandline i guess and what happens when there are conflicts (of your working both on the same file, normally you would pull before coding or merging)?

regards

Hi

You are right! You can use the 4.2 Beta! The bidirectional Git sync fits perfect in your scenario!

Another option is a small linux server inside Amazon EC2 as a central point of communication.

Also very interesting solution! Btw how stable is the 4.2 beta and when is it scheduled to be released?

I also had a quick look at extremely small instances in the Azure cloud (and at 5 ct/compute hour it does not seem much). Plastic would not need much hours.

Thanks already for supplying ideas!

regards

Hi

I created a group account at BitBucket and a repo but the credentials do not seme to be valid (i can login with them and see the repo but when typing them in plasticscm's bisync dialog they are rejected.

Btw I'm starting with a full PlasticSCM repo and want tot push it to BitBucket (instead of pulling first).

Any ideas?

And can i switch back to 4.1 after installing a 4.2 beta?

regards

I created a group account at BitBucket and a repo but the credentials do not seme to be valid (i can login with them and see the repo but when typing them in plasticscm's bisync dialog they are rejected.

Let me test the scenario, can you please tell me if there's something special in the BitBucket configuration?

And can i switch back to 4.1 after installing a 4.2 beta?

Nop, there's no downgrade available. I have to say that the 4.2 is as stable as 4.1. We have been using it over 8 Months.

Hi Manu

It's a group account that is private. I created it and converted it into a group account. I invited another programmer and created an empty repo there and thats it.

I installed a recent version of git (v1.8.0) and was able to commit and push to it from the commandline.

[edit ]I forgot, i needed some special command (forgot to write it down, gthinik it was --set-upstream) to push and create the default branch (just git push failed).

The url is (not accessible) is

https://wvdvegt@bitbucket.org/wvdvegt/bingdownloader.git

If i enter it in git and supply my password, it works (log below):

Pushing to https://wvdvegt@bitbucket.org/wvdvegt/bingdownloader.gitPOST 
git-receive-pack (94822 bytes)remote: bb/acl: wvdvegt is allowed. accepted 
payload.[KTo https://wvdvegt@bitbucket.org/wvdvegt/bingdownloader.git   
5c3888b..fbaa81c  master -> master

Btw using it 8 monts already? Any release date yet?

regards

Hi

It seems that Fast-Import and Fast-Export had it's own time... :P

Now it's everything git-based!!!

By the way, did you see that TFS is working natively with GIT!

Any url? All I read is that they support git as a front-end (git_tfs).

TFS is SQL Server based (much like PlasticSCM) so rewriting that as a file based system seems strange (the database storage btw is one of the things i like about PlasticSCM).

regards

Hi

It seems that Fast-Import and Fast-Export had it's own time... :P

Any url? All I read is that they support git as a front-end (git_tfs).

TFS is SQL Server based (much like PlasticSCM) so rewriting that as a file based system seems strange (the database storage btw is one of the things i like about PlasticSCM).

regards

Sorry! By natively I mean you can integrate git in VS and use git as your source-control in TFS projects! :)

Archived