Unable to set up a plastic server so my team can join through the internet

Hey there!

I'm Alberto Roca. I've contacted the @Plastic team through Twitter, from my account @AlbertoRoca_3D . I want to thank you for your help, and your speed on answering! 

I'm writting this post in english but I can speak spanish. PLease, feel free to adress me in the language that you most prefer. And now, going to the issue:

We've been trying to set a remote-machine server in my PC for the use of the rest of the team (We're developing an Indie Videogame). I'll reproduce the steps we've taken so I'm able to give you the cleaner insight.

Two people involved:

- @AlbertoRoca_3D (from now on ALBERTO)

- @PaperBirdMaster (from now on PAW)

1- Me: setting a server with the installation Wizard, on my PC.

2- The programmer (PAW): setting a client with the installation wizard, on his PC.

3- I search for my IP and then PAW adds it on Windows\...\etc\hosts

4- PAW starts a successful ping to my PC.

5- ALBERTO opens the port on his router. Again successfully

6- ALBERTO opens the port on his firewall, as well

7- PAW can still ping me without any problem.

8- When PAW starts his plastic client, a message appears which says:

"No se puede establecer una conexión ya que el equipo de destino denegó expresamente dicha conexión <MY IP HERE>. El cliente de Plastic no puede continuar y se cerrará."

"You cannot stablish a conection because the target machine has denied that connection <MY IP HERE>. Plastic client is not able to continue and will close."

9- We even had a different issue before, saying: "No server found on <MY IP + PORT>. And the port was opened on the router and firewall.

We've tried any guide available, and also tried the plastic labs you have. But, as I told you on Twitter, this step of the configuration guide is overseen as "obvious" and the guide focus on more difficult issues. Sadly, we're not able to even reach them.

I hope I've been able to make myself clear. Please, if anyone is able to help me with this step, I would be eternally grateful. Hoping that my english is enough to make myself understandable, I thank you all for your time.

Best regards,

Alberto Roca

P.s.- Btw, I'm attaching a picture with the error window.

post-3921-0-55411000-1360185521_thumb.gif

Hi Alberto!

I have seen this message before too.

First, are you and PAW behind any Active Directory Domain Controller?

If you're not using AD then you need to create one user in your machine with PAW's username of the current user who is using Plastic. The password must match too. The same process needs to be done in PAW's machine so you can be able to talk bidirectionally with him.

This issue actually is not related to Plastic itself. I remember that a long time ago, I had the same problem trying to setup the Remote Debugging on VS 2005.

If you or PAW are accessing some VPN you can see this message too. 

I really don't know if Plastic has any other way to do that. Keep in mind that the username and password in your machine must always be the same in the PAW's so you can be able to communicate.

I think that if you unblock Plastic port at the firewall to outside world in your router (or firewall) it will work too.

Hope it helps!

Hi Alberto,

It seems the problem is something related to network layer. Can you turn off firewall and disable antivirus only to test if it is the problem? Can you also telnet ALBERTO´s machine and port from PAW´s machine?

Can you please double check if server and client are configured in the same port? Did you choose "Local users" as authentication method? 

A lot of questions, but I hope it will help to find the solution :)

Regards,

Carlos

Thank you very much, @Cidico and @Calbzam ! Both for the speed and for the effort you've done to be as CLEAR as f*cking crystal. It's so inspiring to see a so helpful community! (Makes me wanting to be a programmer and abbandoning the 3D Art :)  )

Going to the point, I can't try your requests right now. I'll be able to check it in about 10 hours, when I go back to home. I'll try to update with some feedback tonight or tomorrow. Have a nice day!

Alberto

Hi,

My solution:

I installed SSH on my server (used freesshd a its more recent and has a graphical configration), allowed access to it in my router and thus i can access the plasticscm server after creating an SSH tunnel from a client to the server (from a local port to 8087 on the server side).

Clientside I use Putty to initiate the tunnel. for security reasons i work with key-only logins and disallow shell access and use a non-default SSH listening port.

Works like charm.

regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there!

Updating the info! :)

Plastic server is finally online!!!! The problem was, as usual, the f*cking port triggering. As soon as we properly opened the ports and I created the users for my teammates, they could see the repository and everything is running ok.

We are a microsmall team, but I'm so happy of being able to count on such a tool for our project (a videogame). I'll start working hard with it from now on 2 weeks, so I'll try to keep reporting how my experience is. 

Thanks a lot for the helpfulness! :)

Archived