Pending Changes' diff view sometimes fails displaying diff, "Encoding changed" message instead

Mikael Kalms

Hi,

I have noticed on a couple of occasions (2? 3?) over the past month that the Diff view in the bottom half of the Pending changes tab failed to display a diff.

Today, for 4 out of 5 source files, the Diff view guessed that the left pane's encoding was "None" [incorrect], and the right pane's encoding was "UTF-8" [correct]:

EncodingChanged.thumb.PNG.cb515553d2eb809e0c2b7e00e80923f1.PNG

Manually changing the "Left encoding" setting to "UTF-8" made the "Encoding changed" message disappear. However, the Diff view did not refresh itself fully: the diff result was the same (a blank left pane).

Switching between different files in the list of changed items resulted in the Diff view re-identifying encoding, again incorrectly.

Selecting a file and choosing "Diff workspace contents (Ctrl+D)" opened up a new tab. That tab detected encoding correctly (UTF-8 vs UTF-8) and that diff view showed correctly.

Shutting down and restarting the Plastic SCM client resolved the problem: the Diff view in Pending changes is working correctly for me now.

Plastic SCM client version: 7.0.16.2175

Hi,

The left content should not be empty, isn't it?

The left and right content should be always loaded. The encoding changed message doesn't change this.

If the left content should not be empty, the issue will be downloading or reading the left content.

Please, could you confirm if this is your situation?

Could you send us the client logs? They should be located at C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Local\plastic4\logs

Best regards,

Borja

Hi,

You are correct in that the left-hand pane should not be empty. I experienced it again just now - no message about "encoding changed", but the left-hand pane was empty. Restarting Plastic showed correct content in the left-hand pane.

I have sent client logs & a screenshot to you via your ticketing system: Request #14551.

Archived