Cloud Sync View and Encryption

JoRangers

Hi,

I have read some of the documentations and watch some tutorials.
After some days of test, I have 2 questions :

First, I don't understand the use of the sync view for plastic SCM Cloud edition.

Here is how I work with my dev team :

1) We create a repo on the cloud server

2) Then we create directly a workspace from the new repo on our pc (from the Cloud Tab)

3) During development, we only use checkin (in Pending Changes) to push changes and update workspace (in Workspace Explorer)

Currently, we don't have an issue with this workflow. All the data are correctly shared across PCs (files, changesets)

So I guess my data are on the cloud. Is it correct ?

But what about the sync view, I have some changes (outgoing & incomming) to do.
Why do I see these changes ?

I thought one use of the sync view is to sync my local workspace with the repo on Cloud. 
But the checkin button seems already to do it.

Have I done something wrong ? or is it normal ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My second question is about the Cloud server encryption

For the first checkin or update on a repo on the cloud. I need to create and confirm a password for the encryption.

But I don't understand why the others devs need to create and confirm a password for the same repo at their first connection with the cloud.
I though they are only able to enter a password and not create it because I have already done on my pc.

Is the encryption password for the repo only local and isn't share on the cloud ?

Thank you for the help !

Hi,

- From your explanation, you are using a centralized workflow: workspace directly pointing to a cloud repo where you checkin, update...

The sync view feature is only useful when following a distributed workflow: you have a local repo where you perform local checkins and then you need to sync (push/pull) your local branches with the cloud repo.

The sync view is not about syncing workspaces but syncing repositories:

https://www.plasticscm.com/branch-per-task-guide/gui/whats-a-workspace

- The encryption password is locally stored so every developer working with the cloud needs to know this password. Every developer needs to use the same encryption password. If not, the data won't be recoverable by the rest of the team.

Regards,

Carlos.

Archived