Requires encryption

d0mokun

Evening all,

I'm trying to do an initial push but I keep getting this error:

The server "server@cloud" requires encryption, but your server is not configured with the encryption key. To configure your local server make sure you become the admin of the server (owner), try again and you will be asked to enter encryption key. Otherwise, ask your sysadmin or search 'Encrypt all data' in the online docu.

Searching that term in the online documentation yields nothing. Search yields nothing.

Please help!

Best
Dan.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar issue.

Created an account with encryption for cloud use, no local server

I had to manually create the following two files, as at no point was this done for me, and the files were not in the places suggested by the documentation.

C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5\client\cryptedservers.conf

C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5\client\encryption.key

cryptedservers.conf

organisation_name@cloud encryption.key

encrypt my password from the command line using the command, and through trial and error find the correct format for the key file to be two fields, <encryption method> <string created by cm crypt command> AES128 works for me, but there are other possibilities.

PS C:\Users\adrian> cm crypt password123
ENCRYPTED: |SoC|YPUeioTz4NqG+n63ZDlw2jwhQDdnFarU

encryption.key

AES128 YPUeioTz4NqG+n63ZDlw2jwhQDdnFarU

Hope this helps someone, I'd be interested to find out if I missed something that meant the files were not created

Thanks,

Adrian.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I just set up my first test project and I’m running into the same problem. 
just wondering on a Mac is there a way to create those files through keychain or something? Also I’m not sure where they’d go.

It seems, a bit worrying that I can’t get past this first step :) . I thought encrypting would be the way to go? Could someone point me in the right direction there?

Thanks!,

Petey

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 4:55 PM, calbzam said:

Hi @Petey

If you use the macOS Plastic GUI, you will be asked to enter the encryption key. It's not necessary to manually create the configuration files.

Regards,

Carlos.

As above, on windows, i was not asked to enter a key, i just got the error in the first post. I had to create the files as per my post to get this working.

can you clarify if i did something wrong, missed a step or any other possibility as to how this happened?

thanks,

Hi,

So you are using the macOS Plastic GUi for the first time against a cloud encrypted repo and you are not being requested to enter the encryption password, right?

You had to enable it directly in the configuratiion files. In that case, we will try to reproduce it.

Regards,

Carlos.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How are you reproducing this issue? Could you let us know the steps so we can try the same?

So you are using the macOS Plastic GUi for the first time against a cloud encrypted repo and you are not being requested to enter the encryption password, right?

Are using Plastic for the first time against a new encrypted server? This was the initial issue in this post.

Regards,

Carlos.

• 2 weeks later...

In our case, as soon as our Plastic SCM client version is above 11.0.16.7626 and we try to update our workspace with incoming changes, the same window as Settius posted earlier appears and prevents from updating. When switching to the newest changeset manually, it works, as long as there are no pending changes.

We can easily reproduce this by going back to an older changeset and trying to update the workspace through either the "X new changesets available" ribbon on the top-right or by clicking the "Update workspace" button.

edit: We're using Plastic SCM on Windows machines since a few months and the problem started to occur with the aforementioned version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...