Plastic Client Upgrade System

Hi,

I have followed the instructions in the Plastic Administrator's manual and set up the Plastic Upgrade System.  Unfortunately when I connect a client to the server and the client's plastic version is behind the server's version the client is not prompted to update his client plastic installation.  Does this feature work only for major updates or for all updates?  It would be great to have clients update their system more easily after performing a server upgrade.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi,

The upgrade will only be automatically performed when the server and client versions are not compatible.  To check the compatibility the key is the third number of the release number:  5.4.13.590

For instance:

5.4.13.590 is compatible with 5.4.13.595  (you are not automatically prompted to upgrade the client installation)

5.4.13.590 is not compatible with 5.4.14.596 (you automatically prompted to upgrade the client installation)

Regards,

Carlos

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

the new 5.4.14.594 release allows you to force the client upgrade even if the third number is the same. Check the release notes:

New server.conf key ForceBuildNumberMatch enables sysadmins to force Plastic clients to upgrade to the latest build even if the clients are compatible with the server. The server will reject requests if the build number doesn't match.

To configure it enter the following value in server.conf.
<ForceBuildNumberMatch>yes</ForceBuildNumberMatch>

• 2 years later...

Hello!

Sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but I was looking around for an option like this today and found it.

When testing, it appears as if ForceBuildNumberMatch option in server.conf only tells the user that they have to upgrade, but nothing more. Is there not option to trigger the automatic update, as if they have an incompatible version? Since there is an automatic upgrade feature available anyway, can't we use it instead?

Hi!

I'm afraid the upgrade system (https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/administration/plastic-scm-version-control-administrator-guide.shtml#Chapter11:Upgradesystem) will only work when the versions a truly not compatible. So if you use that flag and the versions are compatible the system will not launch.

You are kindly requested to add a suggestion using our user voice page: https://plasticscm.uservoice.com/forums/15467-general 

Archived