Problems with incorrectly detecting moved files

dkoontz

Our artist ran into some problems when reorganizing files for our Unity project. She had moved several folders around and in several places taken the files out of folders and merged them into one new folder. Plastic detected many incorrect moves as seen in this screenshot where it says that the CFX2_Sparks_Rain.prefab was moved to CFX2_Sparks_Star.prefab and then 3 lines down shows that CFX2_Sparks_Star.prefab was moved to CFX2_Sparks_Rain.prefab when in reality neither of these files were moved in this manner.

post-1808-0-48592200-1411689329_thumb.png

I tried to uncheck all the moves that were not 100% similarity and then I get a dependency error.

post-1808-0-31929600-1411689346_thumb.png

Somehow moving a file from one directory to another registered a bunch of other files as dependencies which makes no sense to me.

Eventually we had to revert back to an older commit and have the artist make small changes, checking in as she went. What is going on here, is this a bug that we could report? I have the original commit and a copy of the repo when it was in this state if that would help.

Hi,

I can see that they are locally moved files. Are the file content very similar?  Plastic tries to find a similar file in the workspace to perform the match to assign it as "Moved".  If you right-click the files, you can manually modify the similarity index value or even perform the match manually. If you can confirm that your files are very similar, I think that it´s your case.

From the documentation. http://plasticscm.com/documentation/gui/plastic-scm-version-control-gui-guide.shtml

Moved detection --> Open a dialog in which you can adjust two parameters used by both the Xdiff ("cross-difference") and Xmerge ("cross-merge") capabilities, which detect moved text sections - see The XDiff Capability and The Xmerge Capability.

• Enable move detection - Enable/disable move detection behaviour.
  • Move detection ratio - The threshold at which two text sections are determined to be "the same section, but edited". Choose a higher value if you are getting "false positives"; at 100%, two sections must be truly identical to be judged the same section. Choose a lower value if Xdiff/Xmerge is failing to recognize an insertion/deletion pair as being the same section.
  • Minimum lines in difference - The minimum number of lines that each section must contain to trigger Xdiff/Xmerge processing. Below this threshold, the two sections are always treated as a separate insertion and deletion.

Regards,

Carlos

Archived