Upgrading to Version 4

leebrooks0

• 4 months later...

Hi hampsterx,

can you tell us how you are performing the fast-export operation?

It should be straight forward, just cm fast-export yourRep@yourServer:Port and a fast-export.dat file will be created.

Then use this file to perform the fast-import operation in Plastic4.0.

Regards,

manu

I just performed a fast-export and import operation and it seems that everything worked fine.

I just had a little problem because i need to give a advancedquery permission in order to perform the fast-export command successfully. (Lost about 1 hour to identify this...)

Another thing is, I build an VM using WS 2k8 R2 to test this command and I was using the Administrator user. The import went well and everything was beautiful, until I tried to update my DBrEx...

It was giving me a error message saying that the user Administrator was "unactive".

I just restarted the service and everything worked.

Just for information. :)

this may well be the source of my problems...

282 changesets retrieved

282 changesets will be exported

69 merges found

1 labels will be exported

cs:0@/main 10/18/2011 5:46:24 PM is out of order

1 csets are out of order

Changeset 1@/main 1/282. Elapsed 00:00:00.0160000

Changeset 0@/main 2/282. Elapsed 00:00:00.9830000

Changeset 4@/main 3/282. Elapsed 00:00:00.9830000

Changeset 6@/main/app mods 4/282. Elapsed 00:00:00.9830000

Changeset 7@/main/app mods 5/282. Elapsed 00:00:00.9830000

Changeset 8@/main/app mods 6/282. Elapsed 00:00:00.9830000

Changeset 9@/main/app mods 7/282. Elapsed 00:00:00.9830000

Changeset 10@/main 8/282. Elapsed 00:00:03.4320000

changeset 0 is out of order so perhaps its skipped, which would explain why i have everything except the initial import?

--------

get this on import (v4)

Error processing changeset mark 1. Parent cset mark: -1. Parent cset: -1

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

commit refs/heads/main

mark :1

author tim <tim> 1318910173 +1300

committer tim <tim> 1318910173 +1300

data 29

Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Thanks for the response Pablo! (You're really passionate to be here at 10:09 PM han?)

It's just because I'm really excited about this new version.

I'm trying to migrate my current project to the new version so badly that I forget sometimes that we need to wait a little.

But, what do you mean for "doable" ? :D

Is there another way to do it right now?

Hi, does this mean that we can expect a seamless upgrade option within a couple of weeks?

That would be really great. It seems like a lot of my complaints about 3.0 have been addressed in 4.0, so I am really looking forward to try it out for real.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, does this mean that we can expect a seamless upgrade option within a couple of weeks?

That would be really great. It seems like a lot of my complaints about 3.0 have been addressed in 4.0, so I am really looking forward to try it out for real.

I concur we have been waiting for 4.0 to resolve some issues we've been having and I don't see the logic in upgrading until support is built in. The fast-import/export is in my opinion a hack.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Yes, the migration path from 3.0 to 4.0 is not as clean as I'd like it to be. You can call it a hack, and I'm the one to blame so, shame on me! :) No, really, I'm the one to blame, so feel free to share your thoughts and frustrations.

That being said, I had some reasons which you can share or not but you know we try to do our best and we're totally committed to our users: you!

We'll use the fast-export/import toolchain. I agree it is not as clean as it should, and we'll try to come up with an even better toolchain, maybe just a "migrator" doing it all for you. I'll try to explain the reasons and the underlying change in 4.0. Ok?

Thanks all for your support and trust.

Archived