We're cooking Plastic SCM 5.0

psantosl

WoW!

I really liked the blue one! :D

Maybe you wouldn't mind to post some more detailed blog posts about the new Sync skill that Plastic is bringing, right?

Something as cool as the performance one!

It would be a really nice marketing material for you! ;)

I am looking forward to the official release of the new version of Plastic. I like "small" features like coloring changesets by users or editable diffs.

Regarding the themes: To be honest I most like the light one with native scrollbars. Actually, even though the new icons are probably cleaner, I personally like more the old ones, because of colors. I don't like the Windows 8 and Visual Studio 2012 style, with all caps menus and so on. However, all this is only subjective. And who knows how will fashion and trends look like in a few years.

As far as the screen shots:

I kind of prefer the colored icons as well (that we currently have) - not too enthused about the monochrome look Microsoft went with for VS2012.  Often I'll see the color of an icon before recognizing the shape to know what it does (like a green refresh button) - take that away, and suddenly I have to hunt for a feature I rely on. - which equates to a LOSS of productivity.

Making it easily customizable for both camps is a win in my book though.

Other new features:

Most of those don't apply to my development (method history, semantic merge, or eclipse) , but I'm sure there will be improvements that will.

<side note(s)>

As long as there is a super easy upgrade from the 4.1 server (and client) I'll be happy :)

What will it take to upgrade?

Is there a recommended way to get things moved from a 4.1.10.x version to the latest? (e.g. don't the clients have to be matching versions with the server or it won't communicate?) - forcing both to match makes it much more difficult to upgrade the server due to the "chicken and egg conundrum" - you can't have one without the other, and you can't do both simultaneously unless there is exactly 1 user and he is the one doing the upgrade. -- any Blog post links would be appreciated <hint, hint> :D

It's glad to hear that you are working on the new look.

I have a request:

- a lot of people working on large monitors. And often the default windows desktop DPI settings are changed (125% DPI is very popular).

In this case plastic scm not to look good (I have some examples but I can't attach files in this topic).

Maybe this should be improved ?

Here is guide: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd464660%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

• 1 month later...

With reference to the opening post, I reckon that 5.0 must be cooked by now, how about letting it out of the oven ?

Leaving it in the labs section gives the impression that it's still flaky, it also makes people think that you have no confidence in it yourselves.  I doubt whether either assumption is correct, but I can't use beta software in a production environment, so please just release it (officially).

Hi,

You can check that we have just recently moved Plastic 5 to the main downloads site. We want new Plastic users to download Plastic 5. Although Plastic 5 is not yet the officially supported version (it will be very soon), I can ensure you that it´s very stable and some companies are using it in production environments.

Regards,

Carlos

• 1 month later...

Archived