Unity3d plugin performance with lots of files

Konstantin

Hi,

I have a Unity3d project with about 10 000 small images in assets. Everything is committed into Plastic SCM server

and synchronized with local workspace.

I check out the folder with the images, select them all and change their import settings. At this point Unity is

working slow but acceptable.

After applying the changes Unity freezes forever. In the process list I can see that Unity is idling

and plastic unity plugin process is eating one CPU core. This could last 30+ minutes and I have

not seen the end, I just killed the darn thing. After the plugin process is killed Unity comes back to life

and starts reimporting the images.

I hope this is not normal behaviour.

Hi, Carlos

I am using

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

Plastic 5.0.44.513 - Hawaii

Unity 4.3.f1

I did not touch any settings inside plastic. Unity is configured for 2D.

In fact it wanted to treat my images as sprites and I was changing them to textures. This should only change .meta files.

The images are stored in multiple subfolders so I used search to get the full list and select them.

Hi!

we guess that the issue could be related with the way unity is requesting the status of the files controlled by Plastic.

Can you please help us identifying the issue by enabling the log?

1) Copy and unzip this file: plasticunity.log.conf.zip Inside the plastic SCM client directory, a cm location command will give you the path, bu default is "c:\ProgramFiles\PlasticSCM5\client"

2) Close the Unity GUI.

3) Create the "c:\ProgramFiles\PlasticSCM5\client\unity" directory, inside you will find the result log files.

4) Reproduce the issue

5) Send us the log files generated.

Thanks!

Logging to c:\ProgramFiles\PlasticSCM5\client\unity does not work, I switched it to unprotected folder.

1. I have a test project. Committed to plastic. 10 000 images in several folders. Root image folder is TowerSpriteConversion. 

2. Checkout folder with images. Takes some time but i get all folders and images inside marked as checked out.

3. Search for textures inside images folder.

4. Select all search results and change import settings. Press Apply.

5. Unity idling, PlasticSCMUnityPlugin.exe eating CPU forever.

I killed the plugin process after some time and zipped the logs. See attachment.

Unity is now back to life and reimporting the images.

Found a Unity problem too. With read/write enabled for all images it will crash with OutOfMemory when I select them.

PlasticLog.zip

Thanks a lot for the log files.

Indeed the problem is related with the way Unity is asking the status of the files, one by one and it takes a lot of time.

We'll try to speak with unity to change this behavior, can you please give us a sir dump of your project or how the structure is and how many files and dirs you have?

I can not provide you with a project copy, so here is a description.

My project has 129 MB of images in 11 120 files and 4 folders.  

Assets\Sources\Runners\s0\

Assets\Sources\Runners\s0\2x

Assets\Sources\Runners\s1\

Assets\Sources\Runners\s1\2x

These images are packed to atlases. This results in 7 large images (100 MB total).

In addition it has some code assets, prefabs and scenes. Nothing special there.

My steps from the post with logs will work right after Unity start.

Archived