rakkar

How to download only part of the repository?

Using the cloud server, I have a programmer overseas who can't download the entire repository because the download keeps failing before the end. He doesn't need 80% of the assets the obvious solution is to exclude most of the art directories from the download.

He and I spent about an hour trying to figure out how to only download part of the repository, and we gave up and I told him to use Gluon instead of Plastic SCM. The only reference I could find is https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/distributed/plastic-scm-version-control-distributed-guide.shtml which is incredibly confusing to me.

It seems like this should be a very common use case and explained a lot better. Even Perforce is easier, where I can just setup my workspace mapping to exclude certain directories.

Is there some tutorial on how to download only part of the repository, that a new user can understand?

Hi @rakkar,

you have two different options:

1. Gluon: as you pointed out Gluon will let you choose wht you want to download to the workspace. Please check the following videos, they will help you to learn how to use Gluon, you'll see it's super easy:

2. Cloaked.conf: Configuring a cloaked.conf file before the update operation will let you choose what to download, check the following link for more info:  https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/user/plastic-scm-version-control-introduction-guide.shtml#_Toc266201374