Perpetual software license

nightshade

Why does the "Perpetual" license expire?

I'm a bit concerned about my team's continued use of the community edition with the "perpetual" license becoming invalid after a year.  What happens if there is a change of policy over the next year and my license expires?  Will I be able to move my repositories to another system, or will my source code be held hostage until I purchase a license?

Don't get me wrong; I love the product so far.  If/when my team outgrows the community edition, I fully intend to upgrade.  I just don't like the idea of having to maintain multiple SCM products (e.g., SVN, Rational Team Concert, etc) and excess non-SCM backups to avoid nasty surprises.

Hi,

A perpetual license doesn´t expire (http://www.plasticscm.com/pricing.html)

Perpetual License:

A perpetual license gives you the right to use the version you purchase permanently. The perpetual license provides full usage of Plastic SCM and covers annual product maintenance and technical support for the first year and while you continue to renew the maintenance fee (20% of the perpetual license price) each year.

If you are talking about the Cominity Edition license,  it´s a free one year license that needs to be renewed every year. 

Regards,

Carlos

• 3 weeks later...

I think part of the concern he is expressing is with SMALL and coming shops/ startups or teams who cannot afford to have an additional expense of Plastic SCM yet..

And would choose Plastic SCM over the GIt and Free/ Open Source SCM tools.. until their SIZE and REVENUE goes up and can then justify spending $$ beyond the community edition. 

Would you like to encourage such teams to used Plastic SCM? I think you do. 

They and we would hope that it wont be a BAIT and SWITCH on the COMMUNITY EDITION somewhere down the line where Solo/ Small Teams will be forced to BUY or DIE. 

This would essentially make such teams and people prefer Open Source/ Free tools over Plastic SCM from the BEGINNING to avoid the Carpet being pulled from under them. 

Hi crashnburn,

Here is how it works:

* If you get a CE, it will be continue being free for you. No problem. We've done that since we launched it back in 2010, so no worries. It is been 4 years and thousands of teams.

* If we ever, for any reason, decide to discontinue the CE, then the already running ones will continue being free.

I think I can't be clearer here :-)

Cheers,

Pablo Santos - Founder - www.plasticscm.com

In addition to Pablo and Carlos' answers, to your question about not being locked in:  Plastic SCM supports full history import and export using the open fast-import format used by all the modern open source tools. So,you are never locked in using Plastic SCM.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Pablo - Today I opened Plastic after a few months and found my CE having expired. 

( I dont code a lot anymore, but use Plastic to hold some personal documents that I change often, and plan to play with some code now and then so that I am in touch with how things are changing). 

I am assuming you will stand by your words here about letting former CE users continue free usage :). Based on my minimal above usage I have recommended Plastic SCM to many people and companies. Its word of mouth because I dont use Plastic SCM as much, but can gauge as a seasoned reviewer. 

Plus, I think the CE would be great for bootstrapped startups (I have been meeting a lot of them at networking events), as once they start pull $$ or get funding :)

Hi crashnburn,

Here is how it works:

* If you get a CE, it will be continue being free for you. No problem. We've done that since we launched it back in 2010, so no worries. It is been 4 years and thousands of teams.

* If we ever, for any reason, decide to discontinue the CE, then the already running ones will continue being free.

I think I can't be clearer here :-)

Cheers,

Pablo Santos - Founder - www.plasticscm.com

What can we do now so I can run Plastic again, as the online system does not show me the CE anymore? The email address by which I registered on PlasticSCM.com I will try and PM you. Please expedite this if you can. Thanks. :) 

Archived