Can't get rid of a pending merge link

chud575

Hi,

Yes, this is pretty normal: you have pending changes in your workspace, and one of the pending changes is a merge link. If you want to undo everything, undo the changes. Warning: you will loose the changes!

It is not a good idea to switch to different branches with pending changes, that's why it is forbidden by default (you had to change a setting to allow you to switch branch with changes, it is only meant for really advanced users, because the usual is to run into trouble).

So, what do you want to do with these changes?

i wanted to undo whatever was done, i couldn't cancel the merge.  the solution was to go into the .plastic folder and delete plasticmerge file.

This is a bug btw, not expected behavior.  i merged, and then suddenly was able to switch branches without receiving the typical unfilled branch entry

• 3 months later...

I'm having a similar issue:

In UE 4.19 I committed changes but got an general error, went to Plastic SCM to checkin and was told that a merge was needed (on files that I had not checked out and were not in the pending changes list).  I set merge to revert to source on all the proposed merge files and was left with a "pending merge link" in Pending Changes.  It says that the pending merge links will be commited when I checkin my changes or undo my changes.  However, when I try to checkin, I get an error that I cannot checkin due to the pending merge link and I don't want to undo - I'll lose 4 hours of work! 

I'm going to copy the files out of the project and try undoing.  This is incredibly frustrating.

-Donald

In the previous comments, the user seemed to have switched to different branches with pending changes, but I guess this is not your case, right? 

.  I set merge to revert to source on all the proposed merge files and was left with a "pending merge link" in Pending Changes.  It says that the pending merge links will be commited when I checkin my changes or undo my changes.  However, when I try to checkin, I get an error that I cannot checkin due to the pending merge link and I don't want to undo - I'll lose 4 hours of work! 

I guess you can't checkin because the merge hasn't been fully processed. If you try to re-run the merge again from the branch explorer, aren't still some merge conflicts to process?

Not sure about your time zone, but if you reach us at support@codicesoftware.com, we can arrange a meeting to take a look with you.

Regards,

Carlos.

• 8 months later...

I'm back with the same set of issues.

Twice in the past week, I have tried to merge where the "source" and "workstation" versions were not in conflict and both times, after the merge had been generated, I got error messages that prevented me from comitting them.  The first time, I got an error that my merge had to include the link - even though I had the link selected.  The second time, I got an error that a file was duplicated, if I try to uncheck the file, I get an error that I have to process all the files in the merge.  Undoing everything in the merge really is not an option for me.  I will probably end up manually copying the files out of the project, "undoing" and then copying them back in.

Hi @NC3D, if you face any of these issues, could you open a ticket at support@codicesoftware.com? We will need to review the logs and we can even get connetced with you to debug the issue and find a workaround. It's difficlut for us to reproduce these issues so as much information as we can recover, it will be very helpful.

Sorry for the inconveniences,

Carlos.

• 1 year later...

One thing I wanted to drop into this thread since it's a hit that comes up in google: check to see if you have any files in your ignore/hidden.conf that aren't being shown. If they are, these files aren't being selected for checkin/undo changes, and the operation will fail.

On Pending Changes, there is an Options button. Under What To Show, you can select Show ignored and Show hidden. This can help dig yourself out of this hole.

I really do think the UI should handle this way better.

• 1 year later...
On 4/6/2021 at 9:36 PM, JEP said:

One thing I wanted to drop into this thread since it's a hit that comes up in google: check to see if you have any files in your ignore/hidden.conf that aren't being shown. If they are, these files aren't being selected for checkin/undo changes, and the operation will fail.

On Pending Changes, there is an Options button. Under What To Show, you can select Show ignored and Show hidden. This can help dig yourself out of this hole.

I really do think the UI should handle this way better.

Yet another year later and now it was my turn the get bitten by this bug ("feature"). I never managed to get past the issue and eventually I had to go by the frustrating path through shelves and complete undo's. The comment above did help me formulate a theory explaining how I ended up here, though.

Before branching off the main branch I had added some irrelevant files to the ignore-list in order to safely branch without local changes. This seemed reasonable to me; the UI clearly invites me to add theses files to the ignore, and it seemingly got rid of those nagging warnings. After that I was free to branch and switch to my new child branch. What a lie that was.

After my work was done I tried to check-in my changes, and it was only then I discovered a stupid merge link that never ever was able to complete, presumably because there was nothing to merge, yet it prevented me from checking in any of my changes. How this is not clearly a bug is beyond me.

Turning on the option "show ignored files" just drowned out everything with thousands of files from builds and staging. I managed to find and manually edit the .ignore-file, removing all my last entries, but that didn't fix the issue of course. It appears what Plastic SCM calls "ignore" really means "hide from the user but definitively don't ignore".

All of this would be so much easier if I could just take my local changes with me when switching branches. Hey Plastic, just pretend I made them in this branch instead. I feel Plastic SCM is making a simple branch-switching concept needlessly complex, it's truly one of its weakest spots.