[Announcement] The new Plastic SCM GUI (alpha) is now available!

mariechristineb

Hi everyone,

The new Plastic SCM GUI (alpha) is now available as of our latest release! It will be included along with improvements in each Plastic SCM releases moving forward. It is now the default GUI for MacOS and Linux and is discoverable in the bottom left corner of the Windows GUI.

The new Plastic GUI will eventually replace our Legacy GUI. It is cross-platform, includes a dark theme and provides better syntax highlighting. Many more improvements are coming soon, including Gluon support!

Try out the new experience and switch back to the Legacy GUI at any time. Feel free to share your feedback with us in our Early Adopter Program forum, which we are actively monitoring for issue reports and feature requests.

Thanks!

51898096160_2124b76448_o.png

51897779559_d5fd6e6bb7_o.png

51898096120_2e227ea92f_o (1).png

image (23).png

• Like 1

• mariechristineb changed the title to [Announcement] The new Plastic SCM GUI (alpha) is now available!
  • 1 month later...

Dear MarieChristine

Thank you very much for the new interface.

I selected to switch to it in Plastic SCM Windows Cloud edition, version 11.0.16.6757 running on Windows 7.

Unfortunately Plastic immediately crashed and would not restart.  On trying to restart it gives an error message. The error message is:

"The program can`t start because api-ms-win-core-winrt-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix problem."

I checked and this file is indeed missing from my system, even though I think I have all the MS redistributables I can run installed. Possibly because I am running Windows 7. I tried reinstalling Plastic (with settings retained) but that did not help as it seems to retain the alpha interface setting.

Is there any way I can set it back to the original interface without a complete reinstall please? (My setup would take quite a long time to reproduce). Or easily install the missing file or files. Happy to change a registry setting if that will resolve.

Kind regards

Mouse

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!
I really like the new dark_theme. It only lacks the option to hover over the changset for fast commit info. 

Anyway, I would like to change some of the colors to fit me better. I know where all the themes configs are stored for Legacy GUI but I couldn't find any new config for dark_theme. Can you help me with this? I know it's not fully suportted and maybe never will but I really want to customize it :D

Kind regards 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/29/2022 at 11:13 AM, ollieblanks said:

All features that are present in the Legacy GUI will be put into the new GUI. Unfortunately, it is just a case of prioritisation.

Hope this helps!

I started using new GUI few days ago, everything is great, I have only one question.

It took me some time (was working on branch alone) but I noticed this GUI is centralized mode only, inferring from your answer distributed mode will be included later. Can you, please, confirm it?

Cheers

On 6/27/2022 at 11:57 AM, ollieblanks said:

A local repository and a sync view can be created in the new GUI. Meaning you can work in a distributed workflow. What exactly were you missing from the GUI?

Every check in automatically pushes to cloud, I would like to have an option to keep change sets locally until I will push them by myself

Here is my input:

Getting rid of the rid of the tabs was a good idea, they were redundant.

But I don't like how washed out the new UI is compared to the old one, and it's enough for me not to want to use it. I don't understand the trend of trying to make UI so uniforms, nothing stands out, it's like you are trying to kill all cues that made it easy to navigate visually. It's not so bad (I've seen a lot worse) but it's a step in the wrong direction.

You need a "classic" theme.

On 11/11/2022 at 6:43 PM, tcz8 said:

Here is my input:

Getting rid of the rid of the tabs was a good idea, they were redundant.

But I don't like how washed out the new UI is compared to the old one, and it's enough for me not to want to use it. I don't understand the trend of trying to make UI so uniforms, nothing stands out, it's like you are trying to kill all cues that made it easy to navigate visually. It's not so bad (I've seen a lot worse) but it's a step in the wrong direction.

You need a "classic" theme.

Interesting. i didn't have that issue but noted that some colors need work. I opened a thread about it : 

What else would you change?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey i hate the new UI with ever fiber of my being . How can i launch plastic with the old UI every time. Is there a command for this. It defaults to the new UI every single time i open the app even if ive already switched it back ( bug?)

thanks

In the new UI there are still too many missing features from the legacy UI, making it way too early to remove the legacy UI entirely.

Here are some of these, but there may be more that we'll discover if we are forced to switch to the new UI (which we have so far avoided, due to these omissions) :

• In the new Mergetool, there are no keyboard shortcuts for resolving conflicts (i.e for toggling to keep/discard the lines from src/base/dst respectively).
  • In the Branches view, the "Tree view" option is missing, making a large hierarchical branch structure appear only as a (very long) flat list.
  • After restarting the GUI, the Branches view no longer remembers which (Advanced) filter was last active - we have our own attribute filter that we want to see by default... NOTE: The same issue also exists in all the following views: Changesets, Labels, Attributes and Code Reviews!
  • When switching between workspaces, the last active view in each workspace is not remembered - which makes for an unnecessary amount of clicking if we are jumping back and forth between a couple of repos. (NOTE: It would be great if the last active view in each workspace was also remembered after restart.)
  • The display of branch@repo@server at the top, next to the workspace selector, does not include the full (hierarchical) branch name (except when hovering). That makes it harder to see full context at a glance.
  • In Code Reviews, there is no longer any color coding of lines, based on code review status (Under review / Rework required / Reviewed).
  • The new History view does not give the same at-a-glance overview as the old one, and the "History as 2D revision tree" view is missing entirely. See these posts:
    https://forum.plasticscm.com/topic/24022-history-is-the-one-thing-keeping-me-on-the-legacy-gui/
    https://forum.plasticscm.com/topic/23127-view-history-as-2d-revision-tree-is-missing/
  • Pending changes can no longer be viewed as a hierarchical file tree, only as a categorized list. See these posts:
    https://forum.plasticscm.com/topic/22834-pending-changes-view-as-tree-instead-of-list/
    https://forum.plasticscm.com/topic/23164-pending-changes-tree-view/
  • The Navigator / "minimap" option is missing from Branch Explorer - we find it valuable for overview and navigation.

These were all great usability / workflow features that are now all of a sudden missing, since we can no longer access the legacy UI. Getting stuck on an old version is not really an option. Could you please retain the legacy UI for a while longer and prioritize re-implementing these missing features?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 1:56 PM, gweronimo said:

After restarting the GUI, the Branches view no longer remembers which (Advanced) filter was last active - we have our own attribute filter that we want to see by default... NOTE: The same issue also exists in all the following views: Changesets, Labels, Attributes and Code Reviews!

Oops, the above point I made was actually invalid - I had missed the "Set as default query" button that is still present in the new UI, under Advanced - Query in these views. (Possibly I missed it because the default query did not seem to be carried over from the legacy UI to the new UI?)

BTW, there is no longer a keyboard shortcut (F5) for the "Refresh" button in all the main views - this should also be restored...